ABOLISHING PROPERTY TAXES ON PRIMARY RESIDENCES IS A MAJOR CHANGE IN GOVERNMENT TAXING POLICY
I've tried to explain to folks that what we are trying to do is not just some simple change in a government policy. We are trying to uproot a corrupt, cruel and terribly inaccurate taxation system that has been part of our state and nation since the nation was founded more than 200 years ago. Maybe it made sense when only the rich owned the bulk of the property...but it makes no sense now.
Like abolishing any ingrained system--no matter how corrupt--it takes time for people to feel comfortable with any dramatic change.
* The battle to abolish the horrid practice of slavery began even before our nation was founded in 1776. As cruel and inhuman as slavery was...and as decent and 'religious' as the people were at that time, it was a commonly accepted practice and part of our nation to buy and own slaves. The battle to abolish it took almost 90 years and a war that killed over 600,000 Americans.
* Women, of course were part of this nation from the beginning. Look how long it took for them to get the right to vote....it happened in our so-called enlightened society in 1920...144 years after our nation was founded.
* Debtors prisons remained for many years in our nation's history before enough people realized they were senseless and cruel. Abraham Lincoln once supposedly said slavery will fall as soon as enough people realize or comprehend how cruel the practice is. And it did.
* In changing the property tax system that is corrupt to the core---and steals we estimate 20 to 30,000 homes from Pennsylvania individuals and families every year--- we are battling the same 'we have to have property taxes because we always have had them' mentality.
The work of ALL STOP (Stop Taxing Our Properties) grass roots movement supporters from the beginning in January 2002 has been to educate people about the fallacies of the system....using facts and truth to help citizens to understand that the system is inaccurate, unjust and cruel. Slowly but surely, the message in sinking in. Example: I wrote to Howard Hanna probably three years ago asking Hoddy to get involved in the fight to abolish property taxes on primary residences. He never answered my letter. I don't know for sure that he got the letter. But I am delighted to report: there he was a couple months ago standing at a podium in Hampton Township, near Pittsburgh, flatly stating what his investigation of the property tax system revealed to him:
(paraphrasing his remarks) IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO PROPERLY ASSESS THE VALUES OF HOMES BECAUSE THERE ARE JUST TOO MANY VARIABLES. AND NO AMOUNT OF MONEY SPENT BY THE COUNTY GOVERNMENT ASSESSMENT OFFICE CAN MAKE THE SYSTEM ACCURATE. AND HE SAID THAT THE PROPERTY TAX IS HARMING HOMEOWNERS IN MANY WAYS (NOT THE LEAST OF WHICH IS THE TAX DEVALUES PEOPLE'S HOMES) AND THEREFORE IS DENYING HOMEOWNERS APPRECIATION IN THE VALUE OF THEIR PROPERTIES. HE ALSO SAID THE PROPERTY TAX SYSTEM IS HARMING THE REAL ESTATE INDUSTRY.
We hope that Hoddy will talk to his fellow realtors and they will join the chorus of those who want the system abolished.
The entire system is based on assessments and reassessments-- because those figures on property value determine the taxes to be paid. Since the assessments are hopelessly inaccurate as Mr. Hanna so eloquently and accurately pointed out, it is obvious the taxes based on the incorrect assessments are also wrong. Since, as Hoddy explained, it is IMPOSSIBLE to FIX OR CORRECT the system The only answer is to ABOLISH IT. That's the message we must continue to pound home to everyone we can.
Our STOP plan is the ONLY property tax plan that totally abolishes property taxes on primary residences (homesteads\farmsteads). Initially we were laughed at for proposing abolishing property taxes on primary residences. We were told it can't work. We asked why and the opponents couldn't answer. We were told it would bankrupt the schools and county and municipal governments. We asked the opponents to prove it. They couldn't. We were told property taxes are the only stable funding source in good and bad economic times. But the Legislative Budget and Finance Committee (LBFC) of the Pennsylvania Senate and House's study of the STOP Plan's replacement taxes proved that statement to be TOTALLY INACCURATE. The annual growth in sales and income taxes (the replacement taxes we proposed in our legislation) in both good and bad economic times is more than sufficient to fully fund our schools, counties and municipalities when ALL property taxes on primary residences are abolished. Those wishing a free copy of the report may contact Phil Durgin at the LBFC
Our biggest problem is getting out message out to enough people...and getting people energized to carry the message to their legislators, and the legislators to comprehend the sensibility of our legislation, and the many benefits it offers. A few of us cannot fight the battle alone for the benefit of the masses. We need everyone's help in spreading the word. Please send this message to your senator and state representative. Share it with your county commissioners and municipal officials. And share it with you family and friends.
May I also suggest that you find some e-mail addresses for realtors in your area and send them the attached article about Hoddy Hanna's comments. Thanks.
STOP Primary Residence Protection Plan.
STOP Web site www.grandoldusa.com
- Joe Lehigh County says :
- Mr. Carl Mantz was voted in as State Representative for my District (187). Mr. Mantz supports the elimination of School Tax. Who are the other political leaders, that were voted in, because they want to reform Property Tax?
- Joe Lehigh County says :
- Well, a week has passed, and not one response to my prior request. Mr. Logue, have you ever considered organizing County Leaders? These County Leaders would then be responsible to start communicating with a small segment of the 118,000 signators of the S.T.O.P. petition.
- Anonymous says :
- I URGE EVERYONE TO READ THIS:
- Anonymous says :
- If you feel the State is not listening to your voice or are voting your concerns, you eedn only do one thing.... withhold your taxes. How you say?
1) Buy over the internet as often as you can. I buy tons of items of eBay, and other commercial sites. Its very safe and secure, and the money I save in retail price and sales tax is enormous.
2) Go off the wage tax grid. Whats that mean? Work under the table, do odd jobs for extra income, sell items on auction sites over the internet. Any way you can save paying income tax, do it.
WHEN THE REVENUE DWINDLES, THEN AND ONLY THEN WILL THE GOVERNMENT LISTEN TO US!
- Carl F. Miller says :
- July 26, 2007-8:50 PM
To All Stop Supporters:
This is the message I sent this day to the captioned Senators. If and when I receive a response, I will post it on this webpage.
Carl F. Miller
It is my understanding that on June 25, 2007, SB718 was referred to the Finance
Committee. Aside from its simply still languishing there, would you be so kind
as to inform me of it status?
Also, and aside from yourselves, Senators Costa, LaValle, Fontana, Boscola, O'Pake
and Ferlo, would you be so kind as to provide to me the names of any others who
have indicated their co-sponsorship of SB718?
Too, I've read SB718 (Section 3(a) Lines 15 and 16) and am unsure as to its
meaning. The language contained therein states in part: Levy..."no political
subdivision" may levy. My question is; "Are school districts/school boards
considered to be political subdivisions?" I trust that you understand the
importance of this question.
While I am most appreciative and proud of your dedicated efforts on behalf of
all Pennsylvanians; "and especially apreciative and proud of your dedicated
efforts in regards to the elimination of property taxes on our primary residences";
time is running out for thousands of Pennsylvanians facing the tax sales of their
homes. I've learned that in Westmoreland County alone "approximately 5,100
citizens' homes are scheduled for sheriff sale on September 10, 2007. This
is "immoral" and should be a cause for shame for all of us!
I offer my sincere gratitude for all you are attempting to do on behalf of Pennsylvanians.
You have been in the forefront of this struggle since its inception, and despite
opposition from those who are indifferent to the plight of thousands of Pennsylvanians
(even those in their own voting districts); we citizens are keenly aware and cognizance
of the fact that you will not be deterred in your valiant efforts to bring some
degree of civility to society when it comes to "taking" a citizen's
home. Your valiant efforts have not gone un-noticed by your constituents, and as
witnessed by your being repeatedly re-elected---citizens' respect and admiration
for you continues to grow. Yuo are to be commended for your honesty, your integrity
and your dedication; and I so commend you!
Knowing of the strain already being placed on your valuable and limited time,
I shall await with great patience your kind responses.
Carl F. Miller
- n0cp0rlin0 says :
- Hello, my friends!
I create infirmational site. You can see it here: [url=http://bestzoloft.info/index.php]cheap soma[/url]
On this site I post many information about soma pills, about side effects of soma, how to buy abd where to buy soma...
and many other...
if you interested read this info and say what do you think about my site and about design of it...
sorry, if I post my topic not into a right discussion of forum.
- c0ffeemann says :
- Dear friends, look on this beautiful sites about coffee, coffee-makers, coffee house, aromatic coffee and other interesting information for you!
leather ottoman coffee table
wrought iron coffee table
fish tank coffee table
leather coffee table
oval coffee table
rustic coffee table
wedding coffee table book
antique coffee table
coffee table set
marble coffee table
coffee table and end table
trunk coffee table
aquarium coffee table
coffee and end table
coffee table plan
wood coffee table
cheap coffee table
oak coffee table
black coffee table
coffee table ottoman
glass top coffee table
contemporary coffee table
storage coffee table
iron and glass coffee table
lift top coffee table
modern coffee table
coffee table book
round coffee table
square coffee table
best coffe sites
coffee tea maker
glass coffee table
8 cup coffee maker
mr coffee tea maker
cuisinart brew central coffee maker
gevalia stainless steel coffee maker
single serving coffee maker
100 cup coffee maker
miele coffee maker
mr coffee ice tea maker
braun tassimo coffee maker
industrial coffee maker
chemex coffee maker
ge coffee maker
zojirushi coffee maker
Are you interest?
- Glamour says :
- gay jungs
Add your thoughts:
This web site is for the dissemination and exchange of information and ideas regarding S.T.O.P. Please Do NOT post anything which is offensive or advocates illegal or violent activities in any way. We understand that you may feel very passionate in your support or opposition of S.T.O.P., but overly aggressive and negative comments posted here serve no good purpose and will be edited or deleted. Thank you.
Commenting has been temporarily disabled due to spammers, we will attempt to reactivate it shortly.
This site uses .PDF files for ease of viewing and printing. You will need to have the free Adobe Reader installed on your computer to view .PDF files properly. If you don't already have it you may get the free Adobe Reader by clicking on the image below.